An Interview with Eva Borgert-Palm, Founder and Senior Partner of 4Focus Leadership and Recruitment, based in Stockholm, Sweden
Eva, you run 4Focus Leadership and Recruitment, what do you do?
We are a consulting company that, among other things, works with coaching leaders and teams, creating tailored leadership development programs and supporting companies and leaders in various change processes. We also work with career coaching, when employees are to be further developed within or outside the company. We offer global outplacement services with Career Star Group working with large multinational companies on their large-scale change projects. The focus is on inspiring and challenging development as well as managing change effectively, which is possible with the right tools and support.
In 2020, there were many changes, something you have probably seen a lot of.
Definitely. Many companies are having a hard time due to the current pandemic, while other companies are actually doing much better. However, most organisations have had to change their way of working, as large parts of the staff work from home and digital meetings have become everyone’s everyday life. For some, this way of working is really good, but for others, and above all for the team spirit, it means a greater challenge. It requires much more from the leaders and their leadership and also from their own self-leadership. It is important to find a good structure for your own work as well as maintaining your energy and motivation levels.
Now we have to deal with both the pandemic and the dark winter months. Do you have any tips for keeping your energy and motivation up?
What gives energy and motivation is different for different people, but basically it is about creating a desire to do things. Our brain needs challenges and is rewarded for its effort. Think about what usually charges your batteries – both professionally and privately. Some things you may not be able to do in the same way as before the pandemic but think about how you can do something that gives similar results or feeling.
Top up the batteries
- Get energy from other people, keep in touch with people who inspire and challenge you (and try to avoid those who take energy from you).
- It’s good to get out for a while during the day when it’s bright – plan a short lunch walk around the neighbourhood every day or have more walk-and-talk meetings whenever possible.
- Make a list of things that give you energy and inspiration, which can be anything from books, seminars or TED talks.
- Make sure you have things to look forward to. Usually this might have been a trip or event. Now is the time to find alternative things to look forward to.
- Do not forget that in addition to moving, we need to eat well, which can easily suffer when normal routines are shaken up.
Goals and planning
- Set up a structure that makes it easier for you. If you work at home, for example, make sure to create a structure that makes work and private life different (even though the workplace is the kitchen table).
- Set reasonable goals and expectations. It can be good to have long-term goals so you know where you are going, but do not forget the short-term goals that you can be rewarded relatively quickly.
- Do not forget to “celebrate” – it is too easy to just jump to the next thing without having time to reflect or feel good about what we have actually achieved.
- It is not always what we do that makes us tired, but what we do not do. Finish things or decide not to do it. Bad consciences definitely do not provide good energy.
- Sometimes it’s a just a bad day – so what?! Thank goodness there are new days!
- Maybe you need to make a comeback – here in Sweden we know how long the darkness lasts, but the pandemic is more unpredictable and has already lasted a long time. Have you set up temporary solutions? Think one more time about what can be good in the long run.
- Motivation and energy unfortunately do not come by themselves – set aside time to recharge your batteries. Also, do not forget to give energy to others, this usually gives you energy back!
For more information about 4Focus Leadership and Recruitment click here.
If you are looking for career transition solutions within your organisation, see a full list of the countries we cover here.